Our passion for the environment
And is a Maori term that means guardianship of the land. We never take our stunning environment for granted and are committed to preserving our ‘slice of paradise’ here in Central Otago – we do everything we can to reduce our footprint on the environment.
Within Carrick Lodge itself, we reduce our environmental footprint via
- Being proactive with recycling, including donating goods from our units to the local church’s second hand store whenever anything is updated
- Wherever possible, buying locally and buying in bulk to reduce packaging and freight
- Our bags are fully compostable and made of cornstarch
- Our bikes are free-to-use for guests, reducing the need for motor vehicles to explore locally
- We are proudly 99% chemical free and use natural cleaning products hand made here on site
- We use colour-coded microfibre cloths for each different cleaning purpose – reducing waste
- We are fully air-conditioned to lower our energy usage and impact on the environment
The Tiaki Promise
The Tiaki Promise is a nation-wide commitment from both visitors and locals to care for New Zealand, for now and for future generations. It encompasses three elements: Caring for land, sea and nature by treading lightly and leaving no trace. Travelling safely, by showing care and consideration for all. And finally – respecting culture by travelling with an open heart and mind. We encourage our visitors to embrace the Tiaki Promise as we do ourselves within the Carrick Lodge team.
Embodying the meaning of Manaakitanga – our ‘Central Otago Hospitality’
In Maori culture, Manaakitanga is a traditional value that is central to society, and inspires the way that travellers are made to feel welcome. As “born and bred” Southland local Kylie and Andrew our neighbour from across the ditch are extremely proud to host our guests in beautiful Central Otago, and aim to embody this value in everything that they do – from recommending the best things to do in the region, to going over and above to ensure your stay is truly top-notch. This is reflected in Trip Advisor reviews for Carrick Lodge Motel.
Discovering the very best of Central Otago
From our great cycle paths, stunning wineries, fantastic scenery Central Otago is unique. We’ve crafted a range of local packages to enable you to make the most of our special place – all packages use the very best of our local operators. Please see the staff at reception regarding activities and packages.